Sunday, October 15, 2006

*** One September Night ***

September 27, 2006 -- It was a usual Wednesday, my day off. I thought of planning to clean my cabinet again, but my bed lured me to sleep. Woke up at around 11 am that day, Sam was playing basketball (his usual Wednesday basketball day). I was happy and relieved. Happy because I finally have the time to play with my babies. Relieved because I finally have a chance to stay at home and rest. As in REST. That week was gruelling because I worked for extended hours after my shift just to help out with recruitment. But the good thing is... I get paid for doing that.

Sam left for the office at past 12. Sajie was at his grandparent's house, playing. Only Ate Josie (our yaya), Nicko and me were at home. I went downstairs to eat at around 12 noon. I noticed the door of the apartment in front of us was closed. I figured, maybe they are still sleeping.

*** Flashback: We moved into our apartment, March of last year. We became friends with the girls who were living infront of our house. They were 5 siblings, Kenneth, Stephanie, Kristine, Delaine and Michele.But only the girls were staying in the apartment. Their Kuya Kenneth, was staying in their aunt's house in BF Homes, another village in ParaƱaque. Their mom is working and is staying Japan, and their mom comes home, every year. All of them including Kenneth, became so much fond of Nicko. Nicko became their "baby" and all of them took turns in taking care of our dear "Kuykuy".

The youngest, Michele, became Nicko's grandmother. Since Ate Josie was always left at home to take care of the kids, she became close to them, and sometimes, they would even help out in taking care of the kids. I, on the other hand became close to Delaine and Tintin. Delaine, was my age, she was 7 months older than me. And ever since she resigned from her work last year, she just stayed in their house. Only going out to get Nicko or play or talk to Nicko I remember, one night in November last year, we stayed talking until 5 in the morning We didn't even know what time that was, we just found out that it was already 5 when Sam came out and told me that it was already 5 in the morning. I wasn't able to go to work that day. :D

The sisters were a big help to us especially when Ate Josie went home to Bohol last January, Delaine would often get Nicko in the morning before I go to work, and they will take care of them until we arrive from work. Their patience and dedication in taking care of Nicko and Sajie is always, always appreciated. And we really, really thank them so much for their kindness and for their friendship.

Going back, since I had been busy with recruitment stuff, I haven't seen Delaine in I guess, two weeks. We would just forward quotes to each other. She would always text me in the morning, and would send me messages regarding friendship, love, and sex. Hehehehe....

That day, instead of doing my normal nap in the afternoon, I didn't sleep. I was just playing with Nicko in our bedroom. It's a normal day, I guess. I went downstairs to have my merienda at around 4pm. This time, I noticed that the door is already open. The screen was locked, as usual, but the door was open. I found out from Ate Josie, that Delaine just came back from meeting her mom's friend.

Anyway, the hours passed, Milenyo was already making it's way towards Manila. We can already feel the gusty winds and the rain has started to pour, Sajie was already home, Ate was cooking dinner, and I was taking care of ths kids. Nicko was sleepy already, so I decided to put him to sleep. Apparently, it was still early, and Steph came home at around 7:45 pm, Nicko heard her voice, I decided to go down and give Nicko to Steph, and watched Deal or No Deal with Sajie. 15 minutes has passed, Delaine was still not opening the door. Seems odd. I figured. But I guess she's just asleep. There were no lights in their bedroom. Maybe she is sleeping. I got the bubble gun that I bought for Sajie and started playing with it. We went outside and played with is as well. 30 minutes has passed, Delaine was still not opening the door. Steph decided to call their landline. I got my cell phone, called her phone and their land line. No answer. No movement whatsoever. I was thinking, maybe there is something wrong. But since Steph was just calm, I decided to shrug it off. Michele arrived at around 8:15 pm, Ate got the pile of chairs and got the long metal that we used to hang our clothes and tapped the aircon, and their bedroom window. Nothing. No answer. No movement. They were saying that she was sleeping. After like 20 minutes since Michele arrived, (an hour after Steph came home) I told them that maybe we should wreck the screen door already because they can't go in as Delaine was not answering. I got my tools. The one that I use to make beads and bracelets, and carefully wrecked the screen door, just enough to reach the lock. When I stood at their door, my hands began to shake, and I was sensing that something was very, very, very wrong. I decided not to tell them about what I was feeling. But this time, I knew for a fact that something is terribly wrong. The radio was playing, Delaine wasnt answering. Did something bad happened to her? These were all what I was thinking when I was wrecking the door. After 10 minutes, we were able to open the door. I left our door partially open as I headed for the comfort room to take a bath. I was waiting for something.
As I was about to enter our bathroom, I heard them shout, Michele came out of their house, crying and was hysterical. My fear had turned into a reality. I immediately went into the house, went upstairs and saw Steph and Delaine. Delaine was on the floor. (With all due respect, I choose not to elaborate what I really saw.) And from what I saw, she was lifeless. Read that. LIFELESS.

I rushed downstairs, grabbed the phone, and went outside, trying hard to think of who to call. What is the number of the hospital? The ambulance? My brain was too fried to think. I was sooo shocked. Our neighbors came rushing. Steph was still with Delaine, Michele was in hysteria. People were asking me what to do. I dont know! I shouted that the kids should not be allowed to come out. For fear of trauma. At that point, I just wish that my mind was functioning. We needed help. We needed an ambulance. We need to bring Delaine to the hospital. I rushed to the guard in our subdivision, and asked them to contact an ambulance. We have to have a car so we can bring her to the hospital. How fortunate was it, that during that time, there were no cars available!!! Good thing, the husband of Ate Rosie, was home, and we just decided to use their car eventhough it was just a Kia. Papa Jun and Kuya Jay -R were asking me what to do. Papa Jun told me that they are going to bring Delaine down already. They brought her down. And I knew that she is already lifeless. She was stiff and cold and her color has already drained from her body. They placed her in the car, but since she is kinda tall, she wouldn't fit the Kia Pride. She was longer than the car. We cant bend her joints. (Everytime I close my eyes, I remember the way that she looked like... it will take a long, long time before I will ever forget this.)

I tried calling Tin-tin. They were trying to figure how to bring her to the hospital. After like 20 minutes, the ambulance came, we were able to contact their other sister, Tin-tin. I had to tell her what happened. To my surprise, she was so calm. They just left, which left me with Michele and their house to look after. Michele was crying, I was in total shock. TOTAL SHOCK. No words can describe what I was feeling that time. I felt tired. I wanted to cry, but tears were not coming out. I wanted to shout and be relieved from what ever I was feeling. I knew it was going to be a long night. And it was. IT WAS. *** to be continued... ***

No comments: